Thursday, August 14, 2008

Squash Blossoms from a *VERY* Happy Garden


Tonight I feasted on veg from my garden. I've 4 different types of tomatoes, volunteer pumpkins, lettuce, kale, and beets. The pumpkin plants began when I left a rotting pumpkin in the flowerbed and didn't get all the seeds. Cowabunga! My whole garden has gone BONKERS. Tomatoes are 7' tall AFTER pruning. The squash patch has completely covered my walkway and has grown to a 6' radius. I'm still getting lettuce - in August!


My striped tomatoes are the first to produce (seen in the photo). They are amazingly full of flavor and ever so slightly salty! Very satisfying. I bought all my tomato plants at Whole Foods as 6" starts. Heirloom variety. I'm saving these seeds!


So tonight I made up a recipe for stuffed squash blossoms:
1 pkg chopped Prosciutto
1/4 # blue cheese
A dash of maple yogurt (brown cow of course)
A bit of left over jam (mint, kumquat, and raisin)
1/4 cup of cream cheese
1 box of onion ring batter
Several Squash blossoms (preference)

Except the Squash Blossoms, Mix it all together in a bowl.
Put it in the fridge for an hour to "marinate".
Stuff the blossoms and place on a cookie sheet.
Follow the instructions on the onion ring batter and dip the stuffed blossoms into the batter.
Ever so lightly fry in a deep pan of olive oil. I prefer to keep the oil shallow.

*Note* I used 8 squash blossoms because that's all that was available on my vine. I had enough stuff left over to make 32 blossoms. I think next time I'd add shredded zucchini and carrots to the recipe. It was a wee bit salty - could also use a little more sweetness.

I'm the QUEEN of dash and bit - especially when it comes to filling in the gap in a recipe or tossing in the "last bit" of something from the fridge. Experiment. You may discover something amazing!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Laume said...

Sounds wonderful, but I'd have to adapt for no dairy. Someday I'll have to get around to using the flowers, just never have. I love flowers in my salad though - mustard, nasturtium, borage...
I love my George Foreman grill - use it all the time for bread, veggies, soy burgers, etc.
If you like heirloom tomatoes, try green zebras. Last year I had to buy one called Black Prince. I planned a whole little raised bed around it and did all orange and black for a Halloween theme. It was a very good tasting tomato too, but not available this year.
My garden is doing great this year, I also have volunteer pumpkins taking over my walkway. My tomatoes haven't been happy with the cooler weather so far, but I'm not complaining as it was so nice not to bake. That's changed this week, temps in the high 90's, I'll be drooping and the tomatoes will probably love it. (I'm Fee_de_la_Nuit on Twitter)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP