Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nothing to Wear!

I look in my closet and I've NOTHING to wear. What's a girl to do? It' summer time, weather is warm, buildings mostly cool, but not that cool. Transitioning between in doors and out means you want clothing that's flexible for any occasion. I've plenty of warm winter/fall/spring sweaters, but nothing for the summer. But, why should you care?

Because I am going to tell you what I plan to do to mitigate my situation.
  1. Ruthlessly sort my closet. If it has a) been there since last summer and b) not been worn more than a few times last summer - it's OUTTA there. I find there are articles of clothing I love and wear over and over again. I used to stress that some nasty person at work would tell me, "You wore that yesterday." Then proceed to make fun of me. That was because I used to work around those kinds of people. And they enjoy that sort of banter. I however, want to be accepted. But, have come to realize, who the HELL cares? It's MY life and I'm going to wear what makes me happy!



  2. I'm going to make myself some clothes. I've a room full of craft crap and fabric supplies. Now what the heck am I going to do about it? Let it sit there & rot? Um, no. My supplies are delicious to the touch and most make me happy just looking (or yes fondling the fabrics. Don't tell me you haven't fondled EVERY thing on the rack before buying - even with clothes. You do, even when no one's watching, you do.) I also happen to have some amazing vintage and contemporary patterns. I must make use of them or pass them along to someone who will. For what is the point in having something if you don't USE it!? I'm tired of collecting and buying. I want people to SEE the fabulous creations I design. And, more excitingly I want to energize you into making something for yourself!
So, now that I have a plan. How shall I execute it?
  • Total Duration: June - September
  • Total Projects: TBD based on closet evaluation & available resource hours
  • Total Resources: one (just FuFu)
  • Resource Availability: 10 - 20%
  • Materials: Clothing, Fabric, Patterns, Notions

The Closet
Point zero - pull EVERYTHING out of the closet. YUP, everything. This is a six sigma like technique. Get it all out, then put back only that which is used.

I will take 3 passes at my closet. I will first eliminate; second evaluate (what do I have?); and thirdly pull out all the clothes which are my favorites. Once I know which one's, why, and how they fit, I'll decide what can go back. Yes, this is not a fast process, but necessary every few years or so. Finally, I will donate all non-keepers.

Sewing The Clothes
Looking at favorites, I will determine an overall wardrobe which will suit me for a 2-4 weeks. I feel that will allow me enough rotation for the season without feeling like I have to do laundry all the time so I don't "wear the same thing 2 days in a row." (Yeah, I know, it still kinda bothers me... but I'm doing it for myself, not to avoid critique.)

Next, I will determine if there's a gap - more cardigans? more T's? What basics are necessary? Do I have enough pants?

Next, I will determine what styles/patterns I want to make and which fabrics to use. I will determine if there are any necessary notions or linings that I must purchase before I start the project. In this case, a project is defined as 1 article of clothing, start to finish.

Then, I will execute said projects one at a time. The goal is to have a finished article to wear for the summer season. As such, it is more important to finish each project before moving on. I LOVE to start new things. So, this will be a great and fun challenge for me. I usually allow myself a great deal of freedom in one area of my life where I can start and not finish things to my heart's content. But, that my dear's is not what I'm creating as a rule for this particular challenge. And, as my UWSPM cronies said, limitation spurns creativity. And that is one of my self imposed limitations.

I think this will be a fun project. And it's one I've been contemplating for some time. I'd love to know what your summer challenge is. Are you inspired to sew this summer? Or is the sunlight calling your name to be out and about?

2 comments:

Charlie Gavin said...

This must be very exciting for you. I'm sure I would understand it if I were female.

SeattleAmy said...

Love this post! A very complicated way of saying I'm going to clear out my closet...and fill in missing pieces!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP